The interest in old-fashioned houses and villas, which is totally in contrast with the modern looks of the cities, has made many people think of living in such places. These old houses, which have lasted for years, will not be suitable for a comfortable and hassle-free life, and if you intend to do so, then the best way is to renovate them properly. Follow us with a comprehensive guide to renovating old houses with an engaging video at the end of the article.
What Is the Reconstruction of Old Houses?
In the first place, it should be said that old houses might need to be repaired in different degrees, in this regard, the two terms of reconstruction and renovation will be used. Renovation involves surface work such as painting, but renovation involves deeper operations such as repairing and replacing plumbing and moving walls. In the case old houses and villas mainly require to be renovated to provide the best living conditions.
Stages of Reconstruction of Old Houses
Reconstruction of old and even dilapidated houses is done according to some specific steps. From the beginning, when you decide to rebuild your old building until the end of work, you have to follow certain principles and rules to achieve the desired result. As a result, there are different steps of renovating to get to know what you need to do.
The First Step- Visit the House
The first step in the long process of renovating old houses is to check the condition of the building. During the visit, you should consider your expectations and financial resources and specify the parts of the building that need to be renovated as much as you desire.
The Second Step- Find a Contractor
Renovation of old and worn houses is a process that will require a lot of technical knowledge, and every operation that will be done on the house needs specialized people. So, it’s best to find a reliable contractor. The contractor will provide you with the initial design by reviewing the building and hearing your requests, considering the budget. Explicitly state the cost of labor and the exact timing of the reconstruction.
The Third Step- Start Rebuilding
After agreeing with the contractor, the operation will start according to the schedule. This part of the reconstruction includes various steps and actions that will depend mainly on rebuilding and can generally be summarized in a few cases below.
- If the facade’s needs to be reconstructed, it is wise to install appropriate safety equipment around its place. Use gloves, helmet and goggles while working.
- Ensure that gas, electricity, and water are cut off in the house’s internal wiring and plumbing.
- Remove all mechanical installations such as valves, cabinets, doors and windows; hand tools, drills and screwdrivers are the absolute needs for all these activities.
- Demolition of floor tiles and ceramics in various parts of old houses, including living rooms, kitchens, and bathrooms, using a demolition hammer, is one of the most effective changes in renovating the houses.
- Demolition of load-bearing walls, due to the heaviness of the operation, needs to be done by qualified people.
- Cementing the floors and walls of different parts of the house, including the living room, bedrooms and bathrooms, can also help the look of the house.
- Insulation of toilets, if necessary, must be after drying cement.
- Finishing old and new walls is what needed to be done to make the walls look better.
- Install new doors and windows to give a different appearance.
- Renovation of the roof must be based on a new design of your building, such as implementing various types of false ceilings.
- Even though it cost a fortune to implement a new facade of the building, it is sometimes crucial to give a better look and strength to your building or house.
- Painting the walls are absolutely vital for old houses.
- Installing new cabinets is vital for old houses because the oldest parts of the old houses are usually the kitchens.
- Installation of electrical equipment such as switches, sockets, and lighting can happen based on the walls’ new colors.
- For more variety, parquet or wallpaper can be used instead of painting the walls and usually making a huge difference.
- Bathrooms’ doors are known to be the most kaput parts of an old house. Therefore, installing the building’s interior doors, including rooms and bathrooms according to the walls, is totally necessary.
- Installation of valves, sinks and toilets must happen in the final stages and improve comfort and quality of life.
- Final cleaning must happen finally to make the house ready for living.
- Note that according to the Engineering System Organization rules, any user change will require a license.
The Forth Stage- Final Inspection
At this stage of the renovation of the old houses, after completing the operations mentioned above, the employer and probably the owner, must carefully inspect all the renovated parts based on the details agreed upon with the contractor, and Identify any defect in the house or the look and inform the contractor.
In general, if you have decided to work on your old house, first decide what the discomforts are and put them on top of your checklist. If you do not like the looks, consider them as well. Then decided on your budget and determine if you want to work with a contractor or do it yourself. Even if you have decided to take it on your own, consult with a professional to find out the things you have to do to prevent severe damages and then then it Is time to rage.