You might ask yourself, what is a DIY project? For those who want to do everything themselves, DIY projects are really exciting. DIY stands for ‘do it yourself’ and generally means that instead of hiring a contractor to do a job, you do it yourself. Nowadays, the Internet is filled with videos and tutorials to do a wide range of building and improving projects. But almost all of them require specific tools. In this article, we are going to talk about all the must-have tools for DIY.
Essential Tools for DIY Projects
In this article, we will go through all the different items that are needed for every level and type of DIY. In this section, we will talk about the best tools for DIY, things that you cannot simply live without and that everyone can benefit from having. After this section, we will extend our best DIY tools list to specific fields such as home projects, woodworking, mechanical work, and car maintenance.
Hand tools are basic instruments that you must have in your house, even if you do not intend to do a lot of DIY projects. If you intend to have a complete and ready-to-use arsenal for both DIY projects and small home repairs with all the must-have tools for DIY, you need the following:
A utility knife or a cutter is a DIY tool used to cut through different materials. Utility knives are one of the best Tools for DIYers. You can cut paper, cardboard, plastic, and many other materials with them. The most advantageous point of utility knives is that their blades are replaceable and you can easily change the blade when it becomes worn out. The most important thing you need to pay attention to is how secure the blade is inside the cutter. In some cheap and low-quality cutters, the blade is not placed tightly inside the knife which is not safe to use.
Screwdrivers are not just DIY tools. If you have a habit of buying furniture from IKEA, you know that assembling them without a screwdriver is impossible. Almost everything in your house is attached by screws. So, when you want to fix them, you have to have a screwdriver to remove the screws and after the necessary repairs, you have to put them back in their original positions. The most common types of screws are the flat-head and the cross-head (Philipps) screw. Therefore, you must have these two types of screwdrivers in your toolbox. You might come across other types of screws in your DIY journey but compared to these two, they are rare. When shopping for a screwdriver, pay attention to how it feels in your hands. Because working continuously with an uncomfortable screwdriver might cause damage in the future. Take a look at our catalog of hand tools and other top-rated tools for DIY projects.
A nail is useless without a hammer. Sure, it is possible to use one of your shoes to push the nail inside the wall, but it would not be that effective! And there is a possibility of ruining your shoes! Nailing is not the only job that a hammer can do. A hammer can go a long way in any task that needs a whack! When choosing a hammer, make sure that it has a smooth head and a curved claw. The smooth head is for hammering and the claw is for taking nails out of a workpiece. Take a look at Ronix’s collection of hammers as well as other top DIY tools in our catalog.
Related Article : History of Hand Tools
The next must-have DIY tool is the adjustable wrench. These wrenches are versatile hand tools that can be used to tighten or loosen bolts. Because you can adjust their jaws, you can use them on a wide range of bolts and nuts. A good adjustable wrench is made of durable material and has strong jaws. Ronix adjustable wrenches have great durability and are made of the best alloys in the industry.
For cutting harder and thicker workpieces, a cutter is not enough and you will need a hand saw. There are different hand saws for cutting different materials. If you want to work more with wood, then you need to get a woodworking hand saw. But if your DIY projects are around metal objects, then a metalworking hand saw will be beneficial to you. Ronix offers a wide range of hand saws and you can choose the one that suits your needs most.
Whether you are a handy person or not, a measuring tape is essential in every house. A good measuring tape has a nylon-coated blade which ensures its durability. It also has a strong case to protect the tool from falling or any kind of stroke. If you want a high-quality measuring tape that is durable and reliable, take a look at Ronix measuring tapes.
Now that we have covered the must-have DIY hand tools, let’s discuss more advanced instruments; DIY power tools!
Order Wholesale measuring tools Designed to Attract Customers
Power toolsoffer more strength, speed, and precision in comparison to their manually operated counterparts. This is why they are widely popular among avid DIYers around the world. Here are the basic DIY tools that you need to have to start your DIY projects.
One of the most practical and useful DIY tools anyone can own is an electric drill. You can use a drill to make holes in different materials like wood, metal, and even concrete if your drill has a hammering function. Moreover, if your drill is equipped with a forward/reverse function, you even can use it for screwing and unscrewing tasks. A good drill feels comfortable in your hands and is designed ergonomically.
When you buy a drill for DIY projects, remember to pick up some drill bits as well; because the part that does the drilling is the bit itself, and a drill without a drill bit is useless. Drill bits come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Based on the materials you intend to work on, you can choose the proper drill bits. For example, if you want to make bigger holes in wood, you should buy a flat bit. Take a look at the wide range of Ronix Drills to find the right one for you!
Jigsaws are extremely useful tools, making them one of the top tools for DIY projects. Jigsaws are the safest option among all the power saws. These items are pretty versatile and they can be used for different types of cuts including curved cuts and plunge cuts.
The rotary tool, originated by Dremel is an extremely useful power tool, especially for DIY and home applications. It is used for a large number of different projects. It can be used to sand, carve, and shape wood. It is also extremely useful for cutting metal, especially for beginners as it is pretty safe if it is used with the proper discs and attachments. There are plenty of discs and attachments that can connect to the collets of rotary tools, which makes them one of the top tools for DIY.
An angle grinder is widely used for industrial applications and as a DIY tool as well. After you have become proficient at working with power tools, you can start using these angle grinders. Before getting yourself an angle grinder, make sure that you know how to use it properly. Angle grinders are extremely dangerous and you always need to make sure to follow all the safety guidelines for these tools.
With proper discs and wheels, having an angle grinder helps you cut metal workpieces, level surfaces, and remove excess material. A great and powerful angle grinder can speed up your tasks and help you save a lot of energy and effort. If you intend to buy an angle grinder, consider its wheel diameter. Usually, grinders that have a wheel diameter of 115mm are mini angle grinders and are less powerful and faster than those that have larger wheels. And remember, you need to buy different wheels for different applications.
Hand tools distributors provide a comprehensive range of high-quality tools, catering to diverse industrial needs, ensuring efficiency, and reliability.
Sometimes working with hand tools and power tools becomes dangerous. To reduce the chances of getting injured, you should purchase the proper personal protection equipment (PPE) and use them during your DIY projects.
When cutting or grinding and even hammering, small pieces of material might be flying around. Safety goggles protect your eyes from these tiny pieces. A well-made pair of safety goggles protects your eyes while letting you see the working area completely.
Gloves protect your hands from getting hurt and injured. They also provide a more secure grip on the workpieces you are working with. Another point of using gloves is that they do not let the heat reach your hands. Some can also protect you from electric shocks. So, it is always a good idea to wear gloves before you start working.
Since working on DIY projects usually makes a lot of dust, wearing a mask will protect your lungs and respiratory system. If you are working with special chemicals, you need to get a special mask or respirator because regular masks do not prevent the chemicals from reaching your lungs.
In our opinion, these DIY tools are the must-haves for those who are just getting started with DIY projects. If you think we have missed something, do not forget to tell us in the comments.
Related Article: History of Hand Tools
Best DIY Tools for Beginners
Now that we have talked about all the essential tools for DIY projects, we are going to give you specific lists dedicated to every level and type of job. If you see any item repeated it’s because of their importance in every section.
- Drill/driver: If we mention drills a hundred times, it’s not enough. They are one of the most essential power tools for DIY. If you need more portability, don’t forget to get a cordless model.
- Screwdriver Set: Get yourself a set that includes all the most common flathead and Philipps sizes.
- Hammer: A hammer is one of the best DIY tools for beginners. Make sure to get yourself one that has a claw for taking nails out of walls.
- Measuring Tools: A measuring tape, a level, and a combination square are among the best DIY tools to always have at home.
- Pliers Set: A set of pliers consisting of combination pliers and long-nose pliers as well as cutting pliers always come in handy.
- Adjustable Wrench: Do not forget about adjustable wrenches! These wrenches are among the top DIY tools for beginners.
- Hacksaw: A hacksaw is exceptionally useful for DIY projects. It can be used for cutting a variety of materials such as metal, plastic, and plastic. Take a look at our vast catalog to find hacksaws or any other equipment and choose among our high-quality tools suitable for DIY.
Best Tools for DIY Homeowners
Now that we have introduced a large number of tools in our best DIY tools list, we are gonna give you additional tools that will be handy for you at home. Here are the additional items that we think are necessary.
- Pipe Wrench: A pipe wrench is an extremely useful tool for turning fasteners. If you are interested in doing most of your house’s plumbing, you should consider getting one or maybe even two pipe wrenches. Take a look at our catalog to find pipe wrenches and other professional DIY tools.
- Hammer Drill: If you need to drill holes or drive fasteners into concrete, masonry, or bricks, hammer drills can do these tasks a lot easier than regular drills because of their powerful hammering function.
- Spirit Level: A spirit level is one of the most essential tools for DIY projects. You need these tools for a wide range of tasks. Take a look at our catalog to find spirit levels or other incredible DIY tools.
- Paint Rollers and Paint Brushes: Painting equipment is always essential at home. These tools are necessary.
- Paint Sprayer: Alternatively, if you want to get a more powerful tool for painting you can get paint sprayers. Make sure to wear proper safety gear, most importantly masks, when working with spray guns. Check out our spray guns and our other top-rated tools for DIY projects.
- Locking Pliers: Locking pliers or Vise-Grips among the best tools for DIY. Their adjustable locking mechanism allows them to hold and grip different objects.
- Stud Finder: Do not forget stud finders. Studs are load-bearing beams behind walls. To hang anything from walls you need to find them. They are also essential tools for DIY or professional electrical or plumbing work.
Best Tools for DIY Mechanics
For doing any kind of mechanical work, you will need several different types of tools. Mechanical work involves a lot of assembling and disassembling. This is why the main items you need are tools for fastening and tightening nuts and bolts. Out of all the tools for DIY that we have already mentioned there are also a number of them that are also essential for mechanical work including screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches Allen keys, a drill, and safety gear. Read about all the specific tools you are gonna need for mechanical work:
Combination Wrench (Spanner) Set: These wrenches are essential for turning nuts. One side of combination wrenches is an open-ended wrench and the other side is a box wrench. Make sure to get yourself a set with all the sizes that you will need. For more accessible and comfortable use, you can get ratcheting wrenches.
Socket Set: A socket set does the same thing as a ratcheting wrench set. Depending on the torque you need for different types of mechanical work, you will need either sockets or wrenches.
- Impact Wrench: If you looking for more professional DIY tools that can do the work of your wrench set, you can get an impact wrench.Impact wrenches are power tools that provide more torque and speed for turning fasteners. They are one of the most professional tools for DIY mechanical work. They are not essential but they will take your mechanical toolbox to the next level.
- Grease Gun: Car parts are essential to lubricate. That is why a grease gun is essential for car maintenance.
Best Tools for DIY Woodworking
Here you can find the best tools for DIY Projects that involve woodworking, in addition to any tool that we have already mentioned that is related to wood in any way, shape, or form.
- Circular Saw: Once you get the hang of the jigsaw, you can start using circular saws if you want a faster and more powerful tool for doing straight rips and cuts. Check our catalog to find high-quality circular saws as well as other high-quality tools for DIY projects. Make sure of safety when you are working with circular saws and any other type of power saw.
- Chisel: Chisels are essential for woodworking. They are among the top tools for DIY projects that involve shaping and carving wood.
- Clamps: You always need to stabilize your workpieces to be able to do any kind of woodworking operation. That is why you are gonna need different types of clamps.
- Hand Planes: Hand planes are useful items for smoothing, flattening, and shaping wood surfaces.
- Nail Gun: These tools make every type of DIY woodworking project a lot easier. They are mainly used for nailing work pieces temporarily until the glue dries.
Best Tools for DIY Car Maintenance
We already mentioned how useful combination wrenches are for mechanical work. Other tools that are considered the best DIY tools for car maintenance include a jack stand, a grease gun, an oil filter wrench, a combination plier, and a locking plier.
Best Tool Brand for DIY
There are several tool brands known to make top-rated tools for DIY. DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, Craftsman, Ryobi, Metabo, Ridgid, Lenox, Channellock, Knipex, Snap-On, Irwin, and Crescent are some of the top hand tool and power tool brands that make exceptional products for DIY projects.
There are also less-known tool brands like Ronix that make extremely high-quality tools for DIY with affordable prices that cannot be competed with.
FAQ of Best DIY Tools
What tools do I need for DIY projects?
There are several tools that you just can not live without. These tools are a utility knife, a screwdriver set, a hammer, an adjustable wrench, a hacksaw, a measuring tape, and a drill.
What are the best DIY tools?
The best DIY tools for you depend on your application. When it comes to DIY, you should always go for the most versatile tools that can achieve a lot like screwdrivers, hammers, drills, adjustable wrenches, and hacksaws.
2 November 2020